Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Pocket with flap in seam

Don’t know how to call it but that’s what it is: a pocket with flap in a seam:

IMG_4140

I wanted to topstitch it, preferably in one continuous line. This means that the pocket must not be completed fully, otherwise you would close the pocket while topstitching. Below how I did this.

  • Sew the pocket flap and attach the pocket lining to it. This is the side of the pocket that will be to the wrong side of the front coat when finished. I used one layer of fabric and one layer of lining for my flap, as the fabric was thick. I topstitched with special thread in a long straight stitch. I used length 4, a lot of the length disappears in the fabric layers.
  • Mark the stitching line on the right side of the pattern piece. I used tailors chalk for this (I did not cut exact seam allowances thereofr the line is not at the same distance from the edge, I marked all seamlines on the inside).

 

IMG_4124

  • Sew the flap to the front, right sides together, from the exact edge of the flap to the other edge, the pocket pointing outwards.

IMG_4126

  • On the side panel I sewed the other pocket piece, within the seam allowance, which is indicated by the chalk line.

IMG_4128

  • Then stitch the front and side panel together, stopping where the pocket flap starts and continuing below it.

IMG_4129

  • Press the seam open and make sure the pocket pieces are out of the way. The front panel can now be topstitched without sewing in the pocket pieces.

IMG_4131

  • Fold the pocket pieces together and sew them together. Because you sew the pocket part that’s sewn to the side panel not exactly on the seam line the two pockets will not align exactly. For me that’s never a problem, I just make sure the two pieces are nicely flat, pin together and sew the pocket.

DSC_2203

The result is a nice pocket with continuous topstitching lines.

IMG_4136

----------------

My coat is finished and worn already, it started freezing here, so it is just in time.Very comfortable and warm! I will make proper photos of it (hopefully tomorrow).

4 comments:

  1. Cant wait to see the rest of it, photos please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pocket treatment. Looking forward to the reveal too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've often wondered how to do that, thank you very much and can't wait to see the final coat.

    ReplyDelete